Can you repair roof shingles?
Asphalt shingles are some of the most common roofing materials used. They are subject to damage from wind, hail, and other severe weather, as well as aging and general wear. Asphalt shingle roof repair is often necessary. Single shingles as well as whole sections can be repaired, and the repairs are usually fairly easy to do.
While asphalt shingle roof repair is generally easy, if you want to make sure the repairs are long lasting and done right, get in touch with Herntro Roofing Co. LLC. We offer a full range of repair options. Find out how we can help by calling (913) 721-7676.
We are also available for new roof installation on new home builds. While a roof is key to a new home, you’ll also want good plumbers for new construction plumbing.
How do I know if my shingles are bad?
When it comes to asphalt shingles, there are some fairly common signs they are going bad and will need to be repaired are replaced. When checking your roof for bad shingles, you’ll want to check both inside and outside. Here are some things to look for when checking for bad shingles.
- Stains on the ceiling or in the attic indicates the roof may be leaking and the shingles are damaged.
- If you’re seeing sunlight coming into the attic, the roof has been damaged.
- Missing shingles is also a bad sign.
- Cracking, wavy edges, or curling are signs it’s time to repair the roof.
- Finding large amounts of granules or pieces of shingle in the gutter is a sign the shingles are bad.
- Mold and algae growth may indicate you have bad shingles.
When should roof shingles be replaced?
When you notice problems like cracking or curling shingles, or problems with leaks, you’ll need to figure out whether you need asphalt shingle roof repair or need to replace your roof. One of the primary things to determine whether you just need repairs or replacement is the roof’s age. Most asphalt shingle roofs, with consistent maintenance, will last between 15 and 25 years before it will need to be replaced. If your roof is over 10 years old, you may want to have a roofing professional like those at Herntro Roofing Co. LLC inspect your roof. A professional will be able to determine your roof’s age and whether it needs to be replaced.
Serious damage, especially after a severe storm or hail may require you to replace your roof. If you just have a few damaged shingles, you can get those repaired easily, but if there are multiple damaged sections or multiple leaks, replacement is usually the main option. Mold and algae growth is an indication of worn shingles and moisture build up that can cause leaks.
Will roof leak with one shingle missing?
Strong winds can severely damage your roof, but occasionally the damage may not be too severe. Maybe just a few shingles are missing. Even just one missing shingle can create problems requiring asphalt shingle roof repair. Because of the way asphalt shingles are installed, it’s likely a seam will be exposed. Missing shingles leave gaps that affect the way the roof sheds water, and no matter how many shingles are missing, and the roof is exposed to a greater chance of leaks.
How to repair an asphalt shingle roof
Asphalt shingle roof repair is normally a fairly easy task, especially if there are only a few shingles damaged. Holes and leaks are the most common problems that need to be repaired.
Repair hole in asphalt shingle roof
- The hole can be patched with plywood that’s the same thickness as the wood decking.
- A brace will need to be placed under the hol before the wood patch is installed.
- The patch is nailed to the brace and the wood is covered with roofing tar.
- Roofing felt or tar paper is nailed over the spot where shingles are missing.
- Shingles are then installed, laying the bottom row of shingles first.
How to repair a leaky asphalt shingle roof
- Find the leak by looking for curled, cracked, or missing shingles.
- Re-secure curled shingles using a coating of asphalt roofing cement on the underside of the shingle and press it down to set.
- Replace any damaged or missing shingles with new shingles.
- Repair flashing by resealing joints using a caulk gun filled with roofing cement.
Asphalt shingle roof repair products
For basic asphalt shingle roof repair there are several products on the market you may want to keep on hand. Along with a ladder, a pry bar, and a hammer, you’ll want to purchase galvanized roofing nails, as well as roofing cement. You may also need plywood to make patches, and, of course, you’ll want to buy shingles before you make a repair.
How much does it cost to repair asphalt shingle roof?
Costs will vary to repair a roof, depending on the severity of the damage and the type of repair needed. Minor repairs will cost between $150 to $400, while moderate repairs will cost anywhere between $400 to $1,000. Major repairs can run between $1,000 to $3,000. The average cost is about $650. For asphalt shingle repair in Kansas City, MO, count on the team at Herntro Roofing Co. LLC. We offer affordable prices on repairs. Give us a call at (913) 721-7676.